Monday, April 14, 2008

Pendledrom

Today in section we listened to the piece "Pendlerdrom" by Barry Truax. It was a very different experience to listen to one song without thinking about anything else for 12 full minutes, something I am unaccustomed to since I stopped performing (and listening to ) jazz music several years ago.
It was most interesting with this piece because it changed so much over the length of the piece. At the beginning, I know the composition was artificial, with cuts being faded in and out and layered over and over, but the piece actually sounded like sitting in a train station.
I then really enjoyed how the piece slowly moved form this starting point, and through the train station, also moving more and more towards more abstract sounds of trains and crowds. At one point, I felt like I could actually hear the train accelerating on the track and moving through the tunnels, although the sounds sounded their most abstract at this point as well.
I was very glad we took the time in class to listen to this piece. It was very interesting and I do not know if I would have absorbed the same amount from it if I had just take a cursory listen. Obvious evidence as to how I will hopefully listen to the rest of the selections before the end of class.

No comments: